Mastering the Wet Shave
Boudica sells a completely natural shaving soap that contains beneficial ingredients like soothing aloe vera and detoxifying french green clay, and detoxifying bamboo charcoal. This soap can be used with our pure badger bristle shaving brush to create a fantastic shaving experience. If you have never used a shaving soap and brush before, it is easy to master the wet shave.
Preparing Your Shaving Brush for Use
Badger hair brushes are the highest quality brushes available because they are soft, tough and have an amazing ability to retain water and lift it to the face (hence the wet shave). Badger hair brushes may have a distinct aroma when first purchased. If you do not like the aroma, you have two choices: either live with it for a couple of weeks until the aroma disappears, or hasten the process. There are several ways to remove the odour from the brush: soak the brush in a solution of 1 part distilled white vinegar to 9 parts hot water for 10 minutes or wash the brush with a gentle dish soap. Let the brush sit in the soap for 30 minutes. Rinse the brush gently with warm water, dry the bristles by gently squeezing with a towel and then allow the brush to dry in a well ventilated place for 24 hours.
Now that your brush is ready to use, do you know how to use it properly?
A luxurious and close shave can be achieved with some simple steps.
1. Load the brush by soaking it in hot water until thoroughly saturated. Then shake the brush to remove excess water.
2. Load the brush. Place the tips of the brush on the top of the soap bar, press down slightly and coat the tips of the bristles by swirling the brush.
3. Build the lather. You can build the lather either in the soap container (creating a warm lather), or directly on your face (increasing sensation and exfoliation). Place the brush on the soap or on the face, depending upon the method chosen. Put enough pressure on the brush to spread the bristles slightly, which will release a small amount of water, while gently swirling the brush in both directions and swiping back and forth. This will slowly build soft peaks of lather over a few minutes.
5. Rinse the brush with warm water, flick off water, and place the brush in a drip stand so that the bristles are facing down. This will prevent the water from pooling at the base of the bristles and rotting the bristles. Ensure that the drip stand is located in a ventilated location rather than in a cupboard or drawer to allow air to circulate around the brush.
6. Enjoy the incomparable close shave and skin that has been naturally exfoliated and moisturized!